I love knitting socks. It’s so therapeutic, going round and round and round, seeing the colours change in the painted yarn, watching the tube grow and turn into a cosy cover for toes.
That said, I have just finished knitting the most stressful and irritating pair of socks EVER.
Everything was going fine, until I noticed this:
Hmm. I looked at the colour changes left in the ball, and figured out I would probably just make it to the end of the toe, as long as I didn’t attempt anything rash along the way.
I was wrong.
There was only one thing for it. I had to cannibalise the toe of the first sock (undoing the damn grafting and everything), unravel an inch or so, and steal the wool for the other toe:
There was a tense moment when I was knitting on the toes of both socks from each end of the same bit of yarn, to make sure they were the same length. And in the end, we got here:
And here they are, in all their finished, identical glory:
Here’s a closeup of the pattern on the leg, loosely based on Sunday Swing from Knitty. I scribbled down a rough approximation of the pattern in my notebook to take away with me, then when it didn’t look right to me – not the pattern’s fault, I think my scribbles were wrong – I just made up a simple swirl (k2tog, k8, yo, k6, rinse, repeat):