Put simply, you bake some biscuits, use relatively thick icing to pipe details/outlines on the cookie, then use runny icing to flood the space. This was my first attempt at this technique on cookies, so I kept things simple. Here’s how they turned out:
The first couple of attempts weren’t so good. Also, I tried to put contrasting white spots and details on, but there wasn’t enough contrast in the colours (they just looked like they had a nasty disease) so I used sprinkles to decorate them instead:
I used my favourite gingerbread recipe (this one from Saint Delia of Smith).
Next time, I’ll make sure to colour the icing more strongly, so I can use contrasting colours, and also make sure it’s runny enough. There was a lot of faffing about with a cocktail stick to get it to spread to the edges of the biscuits – and I had to have two goes at doing the filling, as the first time the icing was too stiff.
And there was a lot of mess. A LOT. Our floor is now unpleasantly sticky.
I have loads of cookie cutters, so I’m keen to try this technique out some more. here are the latest additions to the collection: