As I explained last year, I hate New Year’s Eve. As a chronic over-achiever, all I can think about are the things left undone and what I have failed to do – whether through negligence, through weakness or my own deliberate fault (ooh, hello quasi-religious guilt!).
This year I made the error of trying to shake off the NYE blues by heading to the pub with some friends to mope about like a soggy dog and be force-fed Jagerbombs, rather than my usual habit of skulking at home with close friends and Jools Holland.
Here are last year’s resolutions, which I pretty much failed to achieve despite being significantly scaled down from previous years. In 2008 I even went as far as making a quite terrifying spreadsheet, detailing all the things I needed to achieve every week and month for the year. I gave up by about April.
- Finish novel and send to agents/publishers – FAIL. Managed to write about 6,000 more words though, and had a very helpful discussion with someone about the plot and character development.
- Learn to use Ableton audio software – FAIL. I am still no wiser.
- Write 5 songs – FAIL. Although I have written 2 albums in collaboration with the Shadow Orchestra and Sunday Driver, so I think that’s probably WIN overall
- Keep blogging regularly – WIN!
- Do some more standup comedy – I did one 5 minute set, so that counts as WIN, I guess.
- Play as many gigs as possible with the Shadow Orchestra and Sunday Driver – definitely a WIN including the crazy 5-gigs-in-a-weekend Secret Garden Party and the 800-mile road trip
- Take better photos (just bought a new camera – wooo!) – You be the judge – did I WIN or FAIL? I’ve definitely been working on taking better pics.
So – what am I going to fail to do this year?
The big one is to shop less. I resolve to only buy clothes, shoes and cosmetics on a strictly one-in-one-out basis. If I buy a dress, I have to get rid of a dress. If I buy new shoes, I have to chuck a pair. If I buy new lippy, it’s because I’ve finished one – not because I’m bored of the ones I’ve already got. And to make it harder, I’ve just cleared out my wardrobe in preparation.
Here’s the rest:
- Finish my bloody novel
- Write some songs – hell, even one song would be good
- Practice cake decorating, in order to make my wedding cake
- Lose a stone and get in shape by following the rules in this book
- Stop biting my fingernails. Again. Every bloody year.
- Release two albums and gig as much as I can
- Keep blogging
- Get married!
Will I do it? We’ll see… But that’s enough about me. What are your resolutions for 2010? And do you think my photos have got better?